Saturday, February 17, 2007

Advertisements and the effect...

It’s amazing the effect ads have on people. Volkswagen was asked recently to pull an ad that showed a man about to jump off the top of a building until he learned that the car was selling for less than $17,000 then he easily walked away from the edge of the building. The article said that no one complained about the ad, not the consumers, owners, or dealers, but from suicide prevention groups that were concerned about its message. Volkswagen withdrew the ad, saying that sensitivity was a key element. The issue seemed to be that the ad trivialized a very significant public health problem.

I personally saw this ad and thought nothing of it. But now reading this I can see how some people might not want it to be aired. It is making light of a very serious issue and reflects how our society views the issue. If people that have such issues see society not taking it seriously it could make a bad situation worse. It just goes to show how much an ad can say without realizing it. I’m sure that Volkswagen didn’t want to cause any problems when they aired the ad, and saw it as a good advertising campaign, where someone decides life is worth living after all because a car is affordable. They showed that they didn’t want any controversy when they pulled the ad.

We are surrounded by advertisements and I’m glad that someone is paying attention to the meaning of them or the underlying messages, because I guess I have become numb.

http://www.komotv.com/news/business/5892561.html

4 comments:

Moalim said...

you are right! i saw this ad too,
The first time i saw the ad, I thought it was a real life situation, but when I saw the cars and realized it was only an advertisement I said ‘crazy’. Yes I do agree with that suicide prevention groups because television information affect our lives a lot, especially advertisements, and the massage it carried was stronger and should be concerned. I am glad there are people who said their opinion load.

Alison W. said...

I think VW has also received negative feedback for their ads with the people driving a car and getting into a car crash. I guess some people who saw the ads were so concerned they contacted the company to find out if the people (really actors of course) in the wreck were ok.

Christine said...

I can completely agree with the suicide prevention group, and am glad that they voiced their concerns. Suicide is an increasingly sought out means for many people nowadays. I believe it's the Ballard Bridge that has seen the most suicide jumpers ever(!) in the last couple years. It's not ok to trivialize something that many people contemplate regularly. I applaud VW for taking action, and recognizing the impact of their commercial could have on those that are in the depths of depression and considering suicide as a means to end it all.

Danetted said...

I didn't see this ad but it really makes me angry the lengths advertisers will go to sale a product. It is interesting to me what riles an audience to complain. Check out my post about Cingular and AT&T.